Monday, 20 May 2013
This is such a 1980's problem -a perfectly reasonable filofax malfunctions in the elastic strappy-thing department. No problem -time for a quick fix!
-Sturdy velcro (15cm strip);
-Two contrasting bits of fabric (one sturdy, one not);
-Some ribbon (as long as diary around plus 15cm);
-A chunky button;
-A sewing machine & usual bits & bobs...
1. Measure your diary around and add about 15cms to allow for overlap;
2. Trim fabric to the width of the velcro plus 1cm either side for a seam allowance. Also trim bondaweb sheet to match;
4. Iron bondaweb to the inner fabric, but leave paper backing on;
5. With right sides together, sew down either side of the fabric strips, making sure the ends are secured for turning, then peel off the paper backing of the bondaweb;
6. Fiddly annoying bit!! Turn the strap right side in, then press with a hot iron to glue the insides together -this makes it really crisp and neat;
7. Turn in the ends and hand sew discreetly;
9. Hand sew button with sturdy thread (embroidery will do);
(my diary also had two punctured holes in the leather midway down the spine -I used a couple of stitches to secure it).